The development of Brooklyn Heights as a fashionable residential area began with the introduction of ferry service to Manhattan in 1814. By the mid-19th century, the area was served by three ferry services as well as the Brooklyn and Jamaica Railroad, and it was one of New York’s premier residential addresses.
The Jewish community began to move into the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood in the late 1960’s.
The Henry ward Beecher’s Church one of the original city of churches in Brooklyn, where abe Lincoln worshiped and where, when not in virus mode, the Brooklyn Heights Synagogue holds its High Holiday services.
Brooklyn Heights Synagogue, at 131 Remsen Street began in 1959, meeting in various churches and hotels. The first building, at 117 Remsen Street was too small for the growing congregation and it relocated up the block. The congregation is led by Rabbi Serge Lippe and has almost 500 families.
The building at 117 was sold to an Orthodox congregation, led by Rabbi Aaron Raskin and his two sons who also are the leaders of the local Chabad.
Mt. Sinai, the Conservative congregation on Cadman Plaza moved seven times after organizing in 1882 and settled into its current home in 1974, with Rabbi Joseph Potasnik as its spiritual leader.
All three congregations share celebrations, community involvement and sometimes joint prayer services with coordination with the many churches and mosques in the area.